I suggest you ...

increase the difficulty of the Rhythm Performance

Triplets, swing rhythms, just generally what you actually encounter while reading music, not just the very simple rhythms this exercise gives you.

33 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dahn JahnDahn Jahn shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Josh SteedJosh Steed commented  · 

These exercises were just what I was looking for, I await this update with baited breath. Aside from only being very basic the exercises go in a cycle way too quickly. For tutors complete control over time signature, tempo, number of staves, types of note, inclusion of rests would be great for setting classwork and homework targetted at the area of study. Ideally tutors would like to be able to generate their own exercises using your software framework. As an individual I would like the exercises to get gradually harder and to be more varied. You could use random number generator to fill the measures with notes totalling the correct number of beats, at least for harder levels- this would be challenging for the user and much less work for you. I see you plan on including midi- this will give you the facility to test site-reading as a whole much more easily rather than splitting it into rhythm and note identification. Regards

• Scott MorriseScott Morrise commented  · 

Dotted rhythms should be a separate difficulty level from eight notes. People just don't learn eighth notes and dotted rhythms at the same time. Could you maybe remove the dotted rhythms from hard and create more levels to the rhythms drill?

• SewutzpaSewutzpa commented  · 

I think this would be easy enough to modify. Allow a user to select the meter they want: 4/4; 4/8; 4/16; 3/4; 3/8; 3/16 etc...
        For example, have the very same sound rhythm for 4/4 as you have for 4/16, a transposition to a different notation.

• Jeff JohnsJeff Johns commented  · 

I also meant to say in my former post being able to change the speed of playback would be helpful too, and not just universally (like setting the speed for all students at the same pace) but if the student could slow the playback down on a rhythm they are having trouble with, it would help them.

• Jeff JohnsJeff Johns commented  · 

I agree. More comlicated rhythms would be great. I'm subscribed for my entire instrumental music department (about 140 students). And the main draw was a way for them to practice performing rhythms with instant feedback outside of the classroom. (the other drills are great, but could be emulated in written assignments). The issue is that the rhythm drills available don't go nearly far enough. Adding rests, dotted notes, and syncopation would make this service much better.

• Dahn JahnDahn Jahn commented  · 

Dotted notes even on eighteenth notes, slower tempo with more complicated rhythms..
        I was so very happy to have found this exercise, it's seriously an awesome help for my reading skills. Or it would be, if it actually let me practice what I encounter as a musician.

Feedback and Knowledge Base